Thursday, January 4, 2007

Peace of Mankind

Sometimes I wonder whether I'm better off, NOT knowing issues that is going on in the world today. The disillusionment that one inevitably suffers, as he realises that world is not as perfect as he once assumed, is a standard ritual of growing up, And yet I can't shake the nagging doubts that perhaps I would have been much happier, though evidently less worthly, if these incidents had never been brought to my attention in the first place.War, famine, pollution, racism, sexism, the list just goes on and on and on. I don't even need to give examples, just open your daily newspaper, and there you have it. Now, long ago I resolved that this world isn't perfect, but to be reminded of it every other day, As I am literally assaulted with this information, just leaves me wishing that I could succeed from this great brotherhood of mankind. I've known many, who simply turn a blind eye. Those "lucky" few who can simply ignore everything that happens to the world around them, and enjoy their morning cup of coffee with such relish that only a man who was so convinced that the world revolved solely around them, and that so long as this world was unmarred and unblemished, they couldn't care less about the going-ons of the "rest" of civilisation. I find this cocktail of ignorance, apathy and egotism, laced with cynicism... a little less then unsettling.And I've said to myself, I don't want to be one of those people, and yet I find myself saying once too often, "I'm glad that didn't happen to me!" or simply flipping the page over when it seems too morbid and depressing. I find my myself shunting out all the depressing things that happen in this world, just standing waistdeep in a pool of denial, and when finally an ethical and moral crisis decends upon me, I dive for the solace of empathy and charity to salvage what little humanity there is left.These days though, I've realised that the only thing we can do, is try. We certainly can't change the whole world, but we can at least change the world around us, the people we work with, and our family and friends, or even a stranger on the street. Sometimes the smallest things we do, can make the biggest changes to the world around you.GOT it!.

No comments: